Thursday, September 25, 2008

commuter dillemma.

as you probably already know, i ride my bike to work. i've got to say, it's definitely high up there on my "things that attribute to my high quality of life" list (post pending, for a bad day). on occasion though, i will ride the bus in, or even bring my car to work (esp when i have an urgent appointment after work, ie, the airport...but in most cases i still ride the bike to/from work, then grab my car). all in all, i'm a big fan of mass transit, but am frustrated by all the supposed "trial barriers" non-urban people cite to not adopt it in their daily routine.

a few weeks ago, when choosing to ride the bus in (it had been quite a few months), i was surprised to find that busfare had gone up from $1 to $1.50 (when the bus driver called me back to the front of the bus to finish paying my fare). as with many things, this is a clear indicator of:

(1) my age/the many years i've been a supporter of the bus/living in cincinnati, and
(2) inflation, though other, more notable indicators for me are
-comics (when i started collecting in '85, they were just $0.75, they now average $3!) -stamps (i remember them being $0.25, they are now nearing $0.50).

usually when i tell people i ride my bike to work, they ask "even in the winter/snow" - to which i respond, "no stupid, for those painfully long/dreary months of the year i opt to take the bus"

ANYHOW. this morning, while riding my bike down the hill, i was contemplating what i would do this coming winter. continue to take the bus (which is now more expensive), or (gasp!) drive to work. here's my math:


ASSUMPTIONS:
-office days in month (accounting for out of office/travel days) : 20
-bus fare: $1.50 each way, so $3/day

-distance to work: 2 miles, so 4 miles roundtrip
-parking pass: $50
-government mileage rate: $0.50 1/2 (for gas + wear/tear on car)

MONTHLY COST

-raman RIDES BUS: $60 =
20 days * $3 bus fare

-raman DRIVES CAR: $90
= (4 mi/day * 20 days * $0.50/mi) + $50 parking


EXTERNALITY SCORE: car=4, bus=7

-convenience (car)
-carbon footprint (bus)

-freezing outside every morning walking to/from stop + waiting
(car)
-exercise from walking everyday (bus)
-time spent outside wiping snow/ice off car in AM
(bus)
-keeping an awesome parking space in front of my house
(bus)
-time spent on bus reading/working (bus)
-commute time to work (car)
-interaction/people watching on bus (bus)
-keeping awesome parking space in front of my house
(bus)
-taking my parking pass back from josh
(car)

while it looks like the bus clearly wins ($30/month cheaper...the cost of 10 comics, roughly my monthly intake/habit), it still feels like a draw in my mind. what do you think? weigh in!


and more importantly, have you run this analysis on YOUR commute?

3 comments:

  1. Where do you get the parking pass if you drive your car? I think you should take the bus :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dilemma is pretty easy for me. Rachel and I carpool most days and use the parking pass (effectively reducing my cost by 50%). As she refuses to ride the bus, I see this as getting a free ride (given that she would drive anyway).

    HOWEVER, if we have different travel plans for the day, I ride the bus whenever possible. Compared to a 15 mile commute each way + parking, a $4 dollar round trip bus ride is definitely a winner and highly convenient. Plus, I can let someone else do the driving while I read or listen to my ipod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:27 AM

    Hey, look at that! They have a bus route that goes to Sharon Woods now!

    Oh wait. I'd have to get to work at 9:15 and have a hardstop at 4:45 (there is only one bus on the route). That would not work most days.

    If they had more than one bus, I'd move so I could take it. It would be a 2 hr commute each way now versus 15 min. by car. $4.50 a day for bus versus $7.00 with free parking by car.

    I do ride downtown for work when I can. I can get there before 8:30. Earlier than that I need to drive to a bus stop a bit over a mile away, which feels like it would ruin the point.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...