Thursday, January 08, 2009

kamla rani marwaha - jan 7, 1927 - jan 8, 2009



i've known this was coming for quite some time, and just got the phone call from my mom.

i often forget what an extraordinary life my grandmother lived. she lived on 4 continents, and spoke more than 4 languages.

born in a small town in Punjab, India, as a young bride she would later move to Kampala, Uganda with my grandfather, where they would start their family (my mother and her 3 siblings). during Idi Amin's rule, my grandparents would flee to England, where they finished raising their children. as a child, i spent many summers "over the pond" at my grandma's house in Wolverhampton (a little bit further than over the river and thru the woods"). more recently, her son, my [late] Uncle Joe, would bring his parents to the US, where she lived in southern California, until she passed away less than an hour ago.

over the past few years, as her health has had it's ups and downs, i've made quite a few trips to see her and spend some time with her.
last night i spoke with grandma to wish her a happy birthday, and was somewhat distressed by her condition, yet today still came as a surprise. she was 81 years old and a day. she's survived by her husband (my grandfather), and her 3 daughters, one of whom is my mother.

that's me and my grandma in Montgomery, AL (i'm assuming a few weeks after i was born). i'm going to miss her. but i'm glad to have spent so much time with her over the years, especially as an adult.


i hope she's in a better place now. but i'll still miss you grandma. we all will.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:52 PM

    ::::hugs::::
    --Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, brother. as you said, it's a great thing to have gotten to know her...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raman - sorry to know about your loss. Like you said, am sure she is in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about this, Raman. It's amazing to find out what our grandparents did, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raman, I'm very sorry for your loss. It sounds like she had an amazing life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences. If there is anything I can do let me know

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks to all for the condolences and warm wishes.

    funeral/cremation was earlier today. hard to see my family like this. i hate pushing buttons.

    taking her ashes out to sea tomorrow. back out east tuesday. and it starts all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:39 PM

    Raman,
    Grandma was there to receive you at the hospital, as you entered this world. This picture was taken when she brought you home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...